1. Mankind was created "in the image of God" (Genesis 1.27), "naked and unashamed" (Genesis 2.25).
2. After they sinned, mankind covered themselves out of fear, not shame (Genesis 3.10). God mercifully clothed mankind out of physical necessity, not moral necessity (Genesis 3.17-19, 23-24).
3. Except where forbidden in formal worship by specific religious or cultural conventions (examples: Exodus 20.26, 28.42-43, 1 Corinthians 11.5-6), there are no Biblical prohibitions of nakedness.
4. Wherever shame is associated with nakedness in the Bible, it is: a. shame due to sinful conduct found in conjunction with nakedness (examples: Genesis 9.20-25, Jeremiah 13.26, Ezekiel 23.29-30, Nahum 3.5-6, Habakkuk 2.15-16); b. shame due to status as vanquished people (examples: Isaiah 20.4, 47.3, Micah 1.11); c. figuratively, shame due to spiritual deficiency (examples: Revelation 3.17-18, 16.15).
5. The act of "clothing the naked" spoken about in both the Old and New Testaments refers to the provision of physical needs, not moral needs (examples: Isaiah 58.7, Ezekiel 18.7, 18.16, Job 31.19, Matthew 25.36-43, James 2.15-16).
6. Though physical clothing is regarded as a moral necessity in our worldly society, such is not taught by the Bible. By contrast, the Bible teaches the ineffectuality of external prohibitions based on "human commands and teachings" in controlling sinful desires (Colossians 2.20-23).
Christians who choose to be naked in the presence of others must do so appropriately.
1. Their motives must be pure (1 Chronicles 28.9, Proverbs 16.2, 21.2, Hebrews 4.12-13).
2. Their activities must be honorable and glorifying to God (1 Corinthians 6.19-20, 10.31, 1 Thessalonians 4.3-7); loving and respectful of others (Romans 14.12-15.1, 1 Corinthians 8.9); and legal (Romans 13.1-7, 1 Peter 2.11-16)
This article was compiled by the editor of Fig Leaf Forum.
Next article: Redeeming Nakedness
:: Debate Introduction
:: First Debate Affirmative
:: First Debate Negative
:: Second Debate Affirmative
:: Second Debate Negative
:: Final Debate Affirmative
:: Final Debate Negative
:: Does God Approve Of My Sin?
:: Letter To A Texas church Of Christ
:: A Rejoinder
:: Rejoinder Response
:: A Debate 'Post-Mortem'
:: A Letter To The Editor
:: A Letter To The Preacher
:: Reflections On Lust
:: On Lust
:: The Problem With Lust
:: What A Beautiful Tree! Is That Lust?
The Good News
:: The Gospel Of Jesus Christ